Constipation is the root of a host of major and minor ailments. No other natural therapy is as efficient as enema in curing constipation. Enema is a safe way to get rid of the wastes that have accretions in the large intestine.
An enema with warm water (from one to one and a half liters) should be taken daily when you are on diet of fruits or are fasting. If you do not take an enema, there is no benefit to be derived from fasting or living on fruits alone.
Equipment for Enema –
The equipment for enema consists of an enameled container for water, a plastic tube about 5 feet in length, a tap for regulating the flow of water, and a catheter, or nozzle. A small bakelite catheter is available, but it would be more advisable to purchase a No. 24 plastic catheter, which is much more convenient.
Method of Enema –
1. Lie down on a hard bed; the foot of the bed must be four inches higher than the head. Of course, you can take enema while lying on the floor, but in that case your buttocks should be higher than the rest of your body in order to facilitate the introduction of the liquid through the rectum.
2. The vessel consisting the hot water for the enema should be suspended from a nail at a height of three feet from the body. The nozzle should be introduced in the rectum to allow the water to go in.
3. If you raise your knee, it would facilitate the introduction of the enema into the rectum.
4. Check that the nozzle is not blocked; in that process some of the liquid should be allowed to run off. That will also ensure that there is no air trapped in the tube which may penetrate the intestine with the enema.
5. Let the water go into the rectum; retain it for two to three minutes before you visit the toilet.
6. Do not strain at the stools after an enema. Straining will not help clean the bowels as they should be cleaned.
In the case of ordinary costiveness, a strengthening enema is advised. For that about 250 milliliters of cold water should be introduced into the intestines and retained for five to ten minutes. Cold water enervates the intestine. Such an enema can be taken daily and even twice in the day if one feels like it. But it should be taken the last thing at night before retiring. It will not harm you even if you take it for months on end.
Whether the enema water is small in quantity or not, you must let the water come out of its own. Do not strain, nor be in a hurry. In the beginning you might have to spend up to half an hour in the toilet after you have taken the enema.
Disclaimer: This article is not meant to provide health advice and is for general information only. Always seek the insights of a qualified health professional before embarking on any health program.